2016년 9월 4일 일요일

Blog post#1 Who am I?

04/09/15
Hello, my name is Kyuweon Beom and is a student of Raha who decided to undertake the IB curricular program.  This was a difficult decision for me to choose, but I was able to foresee the benefits I could acquire through this challenge and this was the final kick that led me to shoulder the IB.  I think this is where my attribute intervenes. I have had many occasions where I was given 'challenging tasks'; However, with my nature of optimism, I have triumphed those tasks and  shaped what I am now.  Now, the IB is another untypical mission I have been provided to overcome. Truly, It will most likely be difficult and agonizing, but It will also be rewarding.

My Goal of this year is to achieve the grades I am targeting for; Particularly for English, I am desiring to put my best effort and achieve successful grades in response. This will lead up to a better understanding of the English language, which will not only help me in English class but also in other classes as I read different kinds of text types. Last of all, I would expect myself to update posts every once in 2 days related to what I have learned in those 2 days.

To look at a bigger picture; In other words, to think of my dream in the future, I want to find a job or things that I could really enjoy. This is because, in my opinion, enjoyment doubles up your passion and your doubled up passion leads to be more productive.

For today's blog post, I will be answering questions that were given in English class.
-What roles does language have in your life?
In our life, language has been used in every single moment of our life, ever since we were born.  We all were babies once in our lifetime. Although we weren't able to deliver our through proper words when we  since our biological systems weren't developed enough to meet those functions, our parents understood our wants by observing sign language and baby talk.  Through this example, I could conclude that Language is a communicative system that not only it comprises 'Vocal Sounds', but also 'Sign and Gestures' and moreover 'Written symbols'

Since I answered the question of what languages are, I would want to refer back the question. I believe that language has its role of functioning this world. For example, language is what distinguished the 'Good' and 'Bad'. Without this distinction, life won't be the 'life' we are now experiencing anymore and it will be chaotic. So my point is that Language is like a promise or rule made by people that allowed this world to remain this way.

-Why do you think it is important to study language
This question is probably the easiest question to answer. As I have mentioned before, Language has its role of functioning this world. One function of Language is the connection. Because language has existed, people were able to connect to one another; However, If language had not existed, people could not have shared thoughts and innovated this world. Eventually, Language is what conducted this world to develop and it will do the same in the future too. So, to make this world a better place, the study of language will be the flesh and bone

-Have you ever felt excluded due to language barriers?
Certainly, I have. I want to give a very extraordinary example for this question. To draw out the setting, it happened in a museum when I was back in Indonesia. In the museum, there were few scientists and psychologists who were preparing for an experiment to see a mouse's reaction when targeted by a predator, a gigantic python in this case. When I spotted this horrendous scene, I was yelling at the mouse to flee away from the python. I tried everything to achieve this-orally, and gesturally. However, the mouse could not comprehend my 'language' and was incompetently busy consuming seeds. Then, in a snap of a finger, the mouse was gone in a place where we all can anticipate.  Therefore, through this example, I want to claim that 'language barriers' apply to not only between humans but also among other creatures.

댓글 3개:

  1. The last paragraph is so sad! Witnessing an animals death, especially for an experiment, is really a cruel, cruel thing. It's definitely interesting to see insight to language barrier being applied to human and animals, and I'd agree! Some animals, like dogs or apes, can communicate with humans in their own way, too.

    답글삭제
  2. I like the way you talked about how things would be out of order if it weren't for the development of goof and bad words. It is a powerful way of symbolizing how the English language has evolved and has helped us retain order in this society.

    답글삭제
  3. This was a good introductory post. What do you mean by language distinguished good and bad?

    답글삭제