2016년 11월 20일 일요일

Reflecting on my presentation

What main appeals did you use in your pitch? Why did you decide they would be the most effective?
After a thorough discussion with my group members, we decided to choose 2 main appeals, bandwagon and adventure, to advertise New York University to a global market. We thought these 2 appeals would be the most adequate, yet the most effective appeals.

First, Bandwagon appeal is the argument that says you should do it, because everyone else is doing it and they enjoy it. A very close example of this is peer pressure; it is like when your friends buy the latest smartphone, you want it too. Many significant advertisements, both printed and media-incorporated, make use of this appeal advantage outstandingly well. There are 2 different bandwagons from I have spotted while analyzing advertisements: one which presents celebrities or any sort of renowned  person of a certain fields in a lavish and pretentious fashion;one that displays the common-average people  in an unostentatious and sympathetic fashion. In spite of the fact that employing the latter would be more effective and suitable to advertise our product, NYU, as it is a humanitarian product, our group decided to pioneer an innovative advertisement by choosing the prior. However, we decided to incorporate some of the components of the latter (common-average people) by selecting a celebrity that exhibits amiable and unpretentious nature that could utilize the bandwagon appeal without evoking disenthusiasm among the audience.


Secondly, to support the bandwagon appeal, we decided to appeal for adventure. Appeal for adventure is a method of advertising which shows the potential enjoyment that is awaiting in the future rather than its explicit functions or benefits. An example of this is how a number of universities advertise their schools. Instead of revealing the benefits such as good faculty and facility, they accentuate the different experience one could come across from those benefits. Therefore, our product, being NYU, decided to do the same thing.
What were some specific persuasive techniques you used (include examples) why did you believe these would be effective?

For my pitch, I mainly employed 2 persuasive devices, scientific claims, The big lie and repetition. Scientific claims because I used scientific and statistical data to show to what extent has  NYU been so successful. However, I revealed more of the flaws and failures than the successes and achievements to evoke need for improvement among the audiences. This process could be somewhat a 'Big lie' as it required a small amount of exaggeration as well as hype. Moreover, a number of repetition was employed which functioned to show confidence and enthusiasm of the pitch. I thought these 3 persuasive techniques would be the most effective ones because they were suitable to my role as a person who had explain the intended audience, purpose and the medium from which the advertisement is projected. On top of this, because I was the first one to go from my group, I had to exhibit confidence and enthusiasm to appeal to my audience.


How did an awareness of audience and context influence your overall approach to this activity?

To be critical, I had a very week understanding and awareness of my audience and context. The audiences were high school students who are willing to go to college, parents with high school students, students with high income, and passion for learning. With this knowledge in mind, I had to consider all different variables that could affect the audiences such as the platform, celebrity, etc. Along with this, the context had a significant impact on the way in which I approached this activity. Because the context was global market, I did not have a firm idea of how to approach to make the product appealing to the global market. If the context was more narrowed into a particular country or a city, it would have been easier as it would have required understanding of that community. However, the context being much spacious and unlimited, it required understanding of diverse and extensive understanding of different cultures and communities. Unfortunately, my superficial and shallow understanding of this was projected in the way I articulated my opinion.



If you were to complete this presentation again, what would you do differently in terms of content and preparation? 

I would take this assignment more seriously and consider it as a practice that could lead up to more things just than grades. Because presentations are one of my many weaknesses I am exposed to, I should devote more time than others. Additionally, I will try to rehearse with my group members more frequently. The lack of number of rehearsals led to me to mumble and my ideas to jumble up. Next time when I prepare for another presentation, I should organize what I should say in my head and try my best to consolidate the knowledge rather than to memorize it with shallow understanding. 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기